Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Trick or Treat!

BOO!  For anyone interested, this year's Village Halloween Parade will be on Monday, October, 31st, 2011.  The parade route begins on 6th Avenue from Spring Street to 16th Street  from 7:00pm - 10:30pm.  For all you armchair extraordinaires, you can watch the festivities on TV, WPIX CHANNEL 11: 7:30pm - 10:00pm, and on NY 1: 8:00pm - 9:30pm.

October's already here and I haven't decided on a costume yet.  I always tell myself this year will be different, that I will put a lot of thought into a creative and totally outrageous costume that would wow even the bedazzled, fabulous drag queens that march in New York City's Halloween parade.  Realistically though, I usually procrastinate till the eleventh hour till finally settling on a borderline "R" rated costume.

Store bought adult costumes come in children's sizes; I'm convinced.  I usually end up wearing what is supposed to be a dress as a shirt with black stretch pants underneath.  Store bought costumes are also so generic, if Lady Gaga costumes are in this year your sure to see 100 of them walking the streets the night of.

I need inspiration!  So in order to get the creative juices flowing, I've decided to put together a small montage of all the costumes I've worn in the last few years.  Some I remember fondly, others make me shudder.  What was I thinking?!

For your enjoyment, I will post the good, the bad and the ugly.

This costume was, you guessed it, 80's themed.  I loved mixing and matching this outfit; it's basically a time in fashion history that says "wear anything you please and it will go, the brighter the color the better you look". 



This Alice throwback was my Halloween costume in 2005.  Wow writing that makes me feel old.  I look so innocent! 


Ahoy maties!  This is Halloween 2006 in my dorm room at NJIT.  I am on the left, my dad in the middle and my first mate Amanda on the right.  I actually found that perfect billowy white shirt from a Salvation Army store.  Hot tip:  If you have no idea what to be this Halloween, browse your local Salvation Army or hand me down thrift shop for some cool ideas.  The completely dated and vintage clothing these stores sell are bound to pique an idea for you, and its price friendly as well.  Arrr!! 

2008 Halloween all wrong.  I went from an adorably sweet Alice in 2005 to this Gothic looking grotesque misconception of Lewis Carroll's claim to fame.  I'm not saying anymore this picture says it all.

This next picture is a pretty, but generic, store bought candy corn witch costume from Halloween 2009.  Frank is, SURPRISE!  A football player.  We epitomize monotonous costumes here. 

2009 Halloween party at work.  It is what it is.

I usually try to steer clear of costumes that are indicative of other holidays.  This is a picture of my sister and I from 2008, doing our thing and acting weird.  Easter bunnies, leprechauns, cupids, and Santa costumes need to stay in their respective holiday arenas.  


In the same year as my Alice monstrosity, Mandy decided on Elvira, or as the Simpson's call her, Boob-arella.




My ultimate favorite costume is next.  Mandy created flamingo costumes for Halloween 2007.  Here, you see Mandy, my girlfriend Katie from Ohio and myself posing like actual flamingos.  We went to the parade in the city and we were stopped every block to take pictures with admiring partygoers.  The feather boas created a great finishing touch and the beaks were made out of hot pink Michael's Crafts hat visors.  We cut black felt and hot glued it to the visor to give it that curved appearance.


Here's work Gypsy Cindy from Halloween 2010.  Work parties are tough to find costumes for.  You don't want to be that co-worker that shows up to sexy, and you don't want to be seen by your supervisors as boring or uncreative.

Jazzercise Halloween 2006!  This costume cost me zero dollars.  Kudos to mom for her time capsule boudoir drawers.  The back of this onesie was actually a thong, which makes total comfort sense when your exercising.  Haha!

The Lollipop kids, Frank and Moe in 2010.  The idea was mine, and the costumes were also my creation.  I went to TJ Max, picked out those hideous checkered shirts and shorts on the sale rack, cut V's into the bottoms of the shirts and shorts, glued lollies in the pockets and VOILA! You have the best Wizard of Oz costumes ever.  They won best costume that night.  I try. :)


Peggy and Al Bundy from the TV show "Love and Marriage" in 2010.  Awesome costumes, Mandy looked exactly like Peggy.

Sailor Cindy from a 2010 Halloween party.  This costume was actually a one piece dress.  Clearly, not a dress.  It was my sailor shirt.  Thank the Lord for stretch pants.  I borrowed this costume from a friend 30 minutes before the party.  Talk about last minute.

So, whether you buy, create, borrow or reuse, there's no excuse for remaining costume-less on Halloween.  I hope I sparked a bit of inspiration for you on your quest for the perfect costume this year.  As for me, I am still thinking of mine and will let you know in due time. 


Happy Halloween!







No comments:

Post a Comment