Thursday, September 29, 2011

Spendthrift and Foolhardy


Hey fashionistas!  I apologize beforehand to my male readers, this post is decidedly for the gentler of genders!  Today I had a riveting work-related budget meeting in Manhattan.  Nothing like crunching numbers with your co-workers as you trudge through concepts such as accural accounting and ratio analysis.  Fun fun!  What's best is that I am sitting there freaking out about all of my work expenses and trying to skim down costs wherever possible while I am sidetracked thinking about spending all of my hard earned mula at the Betsey Johnson Sample Sale in Times Square.  I justify my splurge by considering myself most patriotic for doing my part to stimulate the economy.  When quitting time arrivals I say my goodbyes and rip my politically correct facade off as I rush like a bat outta hell to get to the BJ sale. 

Before I divulge all the splendors of my raid, let me tell you a tiny bit about one of my favorite designers.  Betsey does cartwheels at her runway shows, never wears boring colors, always dresses whimsically, uses retro throwback designs in all of her contemporary lines, is a breast cancer survivor, and oh, is over 60 years old.  Her line has been around since the 80s but really only took off in the last decade or so.  I adore everything about this woman's creative mind.  With her funky white-blonde hair and her cooky clothes, you can't help but like this eccentric designer. 

One downer, BJ paraphernalia is expensive.  So, I hover over BJ email updates with vulture-like anticipation to see when and where the next sample sale will be.  The sale was from September 28th through Saturday, October 1st.  If you would like to know where, message me for the deets! ;)

When I arrive to the sample showroom throngs of women are perusing the aisles, snatching up dresses and haggling prices.  Drats, its only 3:00pm and the place is mobbed!  My wonderful boyfriend, who is probably reading this post now, was generous enough for me to put a few purchases on the AMEX card.  Score!  Rhinestones, pretty knit patterns, satchel bags, high heels and pumps and buttercup dresses as far as the eye could see.  The plethora of colors and the outrageous designs on every piece of fabric makes me giddy.  I'll take one of everything please!

Prices are slashed by 70%-85%, making everything much more conducive to my price range.  I bought two belts, four leather bags, one thermal shirt, a jacket and two bracelets for a grand total of....drumroll please...$361.00!!  I put $185 on the AMEX for items I bought for myself (thanks Frank!) and the remainder I paid in cash.

Here is an itemized list:

I couldn't decide which of the three red leather bags I liked the most, so in true shopaholic fashion, I bought all three!  This ruffled bag kind of resembles a bowling bag; it has such an adorable look when you clutch it by the handles with both hands.  You can buy it in stores for $228.00.  My price?  $50.00.

 
This next bag is a beautiful over the shoulder red tote with a trendy v-neck top.  No zipper to open the bag which means I can dump in all of my accessories without having to constantly open and close.  Store price: $298.00.  Sale price: $50.00. 


This next bag is a crossbody fit, with red ruffles.  I love the retro look. This bag is perfect for city travels and laid back casual looks.  Store price: $158.00.  Sale price: $40.00.


I could not take the wrappings off this next item because I bought it as a birthday gift for my boyfriend's mother.  This large satchel, black leather bag originally sold for $288.00.  My price?  $50.00.


These next items are bracelets.  Usually Betsey gets a bit gaudy in the costume jewelry department, but every so often you find a few must haves.  The bracelet at the top of the picture has gold tassels that drawstring the bracelet tighter.  Gold beads with pink rhinestones adorn the top.  Sells for $65.00, I got for $26.00.

The bracelet on the bottom of the picture is an adorable charm bracelet, not too chunky, not too delicate.  Sells for $55.00.  My price?  $22.00.


This next item is a long sleeve, purple leopard design.  The material is outrageous, so soft.  Not sure what type of fabric it is but it sold originally for $98.00.  I snagged it for $15.00.  I gave this to my sister, she's a purple leopard kinda gal.


Next up, two ruffle belts, one berry colored and the other solid black, both with rhinestone buckles.  Each one runs for $45.00.  I got them for $5.00 each. 


And finally, the creem de la creem, a dark purple Betsey Johnson jacket.  I bought this for $105.00 for my sister.  It's about her style and I like making her smile.  You can find this online at the Betsey store for $350.00.  Plenty of pockets, zipper in the front as well as additional press buttons, the inside is a silky pink leopard print. 


Nothing makes stressing over work better like some new accessories and clothes.  Happy shopping readers! 

No comments:

Post a Comment