Saturday, October 22, 2011

Paws and Claws

Today I volunteered at the 2011 Woof Walk Fun Run at Silver Lake Park.  Vendors were offered free veterinarian screenings as well as face painting, arts and crafts, and a bouncehouse for the kids.  My favorite was the doggie obstacle course. 


Of course I tried to get my dog, a 7 year old dachshund named Jub Jub, to complete the course to no avail.  When I dragged him over to the hurdle to jump, he ran on the opposite side.  When I tried to push Jub Jub into an accordion blue running tunnel obstacle, he would not budge.  So much for cultivating a show dog.  Then the pure breeds came.  The eccentric handlers of these dogs remind me of those depicted in the movie "Best In Show".  If you have never seen this movie, it parodies show dog owners and their dogs that look like them while they compete at a national competition.  Sounds ridiculous, but this movie is hysterical.  The gllistening golden retreivers that dodged in and out of each obstacle on the course were so fast and well trained I was immediately embarrassed by my little 13 lb dog who was standing idly by scratching himself. 

Dozens of dogs (and their owners) in all shapes and sizes came for the event.  The walk, (or run, whichever you prefered) was just about a mile. There were tons of free giveaways, including bone shaped doggie poo bag dispensers, (grabbed 3), t-shirts, and travel foldable doggie water bowls, which were adorable.  Greyhounds, bulldogs, poodles and many more interesting breeds peppered the parade.  Some were even in their Halloween costumes. 

Congressman Michael Grimm gave an opening speech before the walk began.  He was accompanied by a little teacup Yorkie Terrier.  He gave a nice little speech on how dogs are man's best friends.  This is a picture of him below.


  When we started on the course Jub Jub was joined by his friends Zeus, a pug, and Lily, a Jack-A-Poo.  Lily's in the first picture, Zeus is by himself below.



Halfway through the course we saw Michael Grimm RUNNING with his little Yorkie.  I kid you not when I tell you that he was looking at his dog offering words of encouragement, "we're almost there, YOU CAN DO IT!"  I literally died laughing.  He seems like a nice guy and I do not care much for politics but that was a bit too much for show.

Frank, my boyfriend, came for the event as well as my sister Mandy and her boyfriend Justin with Kaylee, my niece.  Ths next picture is Kayle,, myself and Frank.



Kaylee enjoyed running around like a lunatic oblivious to her surroundings.  Just like a Bayioki.



All in all this was a nice community event.  Family and pet lover friendly; I am glad I went.  I am among my people there.  Unfortunately they are a tad odd and crazy but that's just my style.


No comments:

Post a Comment