Thursday, September 22, 2011

Broadway!

For my mother's birthday I decided to buy two tickets to see Cirque Du Soleil "Zarkana" at Radio City.  I know she's been dying to go ever since she first saw the advertisements for it at the beginning of the summer.  I have seen a few CDS's and each one is even more thrilling than the last.  For those of you who may not know, CDS is a type of modern, contemporary circus, minus the animal brutality.  Usually, the shows are in French, or some other romantic language, and I just follow along but this show was in English...SCORE!  If your like me, than you loveee eye candy.  The costumes, makeup, set design, characters, were all were so flawlessly genuine and unique. 

If you appreciate art than you MUST go see this show.  The creativity, artistry and technique that these dancers, acrobats and singers possess is simply amazing.  Their routines are so perfected and honed that you would forget these stage performers are actually human at times.  Ballerinas executed such difficult moves with such grace and poise that it seemed almost unfair.  Whyyyy didn't I stick with dance when I was younger?!  My favorite routines were the snake and spider bit, (I won't spoil for you but the stage scenery and costumes are superb).  The backdrops and color schemes that were created are so out of this world you have to wonder whether or not the creators were on some type of hullucinogenics.

Whatever you describe this show as, THAT is what I want to do with my life.  Anything, everything.  I'll do the makeup, costume design, lighting, singing, ANYTHING.  It's something so much greater than any one individual. 

Witnessing performances like these, that are so breathe-taking and awe-inspiring, makes me believe so much more in how many good and wonderful things there are in this world to offer.  I was so overstimulated by all of the events going on at once during a routine I started to freak out.  You can not focus on one thing on the stage because a thousand other subtle little nuances are going on all around.  It's as if your watching a real life fairy tale play out before your eyes. Zarkana truly stretched the limits of the imagination.  All I could think about was, man, I want to be part of this!   Alas, it is not to be, as I have the flexibility of a wooden board and the grace and coordination of newly born fawn.  Makes me want to trade in my cleats for a pair of ballerina slippers.  Almost ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment