Thursday, January 19, 2012

My Two Cents on Apple

Let me preface this by saying I appreciate companies and organizations that think out of the box.  I enjoy different approaches to business and marketing.  Indeed, one of my dream jobs would be the artist who creates the different Google templates each day, (loved the one yesterday protesting government censorship of the Web, represented by a blackened out Google sign).  Individuals with creative mindsets are definitely the ones that thrust us forward in this world.  However, when companies become so large that they require smaller chain stores to be opened in order to fill the demand, the ideology is often misrepresented. 

Take for instance, the Apple store in the Staten Island mall.  The concept behind all Apple products really is revolutionary.  I respect the empire that Steve Jobs built, (although not the person he was).  But that store is so overly, ridiculously, pretentious.  I needed to make an “appointment” to inquire about a replacement for my cracked Ipad screen.  As if waiting weeks for doctors appointments aren’t enough, I now have to make an appointment to ask about my products.  When my appointed date finally arrives, I have to “check in” at the apple store, with some punkish looking youth clearly a decade younger than myself.  Even with my 5:30pm time slot, I am asked to wait for my “genius” technician, (they actually do refer to themselves as geniuses, I guess to add to the elitist ambiance of the place). 

Finally, what arrives to my aid is a guy with a nose-ring and a perfectly crafted blooming onion blow out, “ah, you must be my genius!”  He greets me with the warmth of a high school student towards their teacher on the first day of chemistry class, and takes the next 15 minutes not engaging me in any sort of casual conversation, but by just plugging away on his Ipad.  It was almost as if he was asking the Ipad what he should do or say next.  This is not appropriate human interaction.  Have we moved so far from social conversation that we have completely forgotten how to engage one another in normal dialogue? 

Then I am asked to wait by the tech bar, which is set up like a real bar, only minus the traditional refreshments (booo).  The stark setting of the store actually bothers me.  Jobs sacrificed individuality for simplicity in creating these “humanless” stores.  Even the tables have as much character as the cheap, do-it-yourself furniture found in IKEA.  I guess my biggest concern is that the store was packed with people, yet looked empty. 

My genius returns to inform me that it would cost around $365.00 to swap out my Ipad.    Screw that, I’ll work around the crack.  I leave disgruntled over having to make an appointment that I had to wait a week for just to be told something that someone could have informed me of over the phone.  Thankfully, my sister went back into the store and inquired again after we left.  Turns out my genius made a mistake, apple can exchange the cracked Ipad at no additional fee, but they cannot exchange an Iphone with the same affliction.  Oops. 

I learned a few things from this.  One, keep asking questions.  It forcing people to double check, which ultimately resulted in my new Ipad.  Two, appreciate Mom and Pop stores while they are still around, because I do not foresee their presence in the future.  Third, try texting, messaging, and social networking a bit less.  Unplug from the world and spend some quality face to face time with your friends and family. 

Finally, never try walking into an Apple store without an appointment, it won’t work.       

3 comments:

  1. Great Post Cindy... I'm ALWAYS doing my own research before i ask people questions/trust people to help me, because a lot of people just give you the first answer that pops into their head.. I always said if you want something done right, do it yourself.. =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great Post Cindy... I'm ALWAYS doing my own research before i ask people questions/trust people to help me, because a lot of people just give you the first answer that pops into their head.. I always said if you want something done right, do it yourself.. =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks jelli! I remember how hard you looked into that bogus mic you bought like a year ago lol!

      Delete